Barrett from ValleybrinkRoad.com did it again with these AMAZING (and fairly easy!) beet-dyed cupcakes that are perfect for Valentine’s Day. Make sure to upload a photo to Instagram when you make your cupcakes and tag both of us! (@KatherineSchwarzenegger and @ValleybrinkRoad).
Yellow Cupcakes with Beet Dyed Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups organic cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup organic whole milk
- 1/4 cup organic greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 stick organic unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 large organic eggs, room temperature
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar + more as needed
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Juice from 1 beet, strained (I juiced mine in a juicer and then strained it through a strainer, or you can grate it and squeeze the juice through a thin cloth or cheesecloth)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and sea salt. In another small bowl, mix together the milk, yogurt, and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time and mix to combine. With the mixer on low, add half the dry ingredients followed by the milk mixture, and finally the rest of the dry ingredients. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. filling each one about 3/4 full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool the cupcakes completely before frosting them.
- To make the frosting, place the butter, sugar, milk, and vanilla in the bowl of a standing mixer and beat until combined. Add a teaspoon of beet juice. Mix. Add beet juice until desired color is reached. If the mixture gets too thin, add more confectioners’ sugar.
- Frost the cupcakes and enjoy!